John Peel was born at Park End, Caldbeck in 1776 and died in 1854.
In 1829 Sir Frederick Fletcher Vane, who kept a pack of hounds at his Wythop Estate, appointed John Peel as his huntsman. In 1856, two years after Peel's death, the pack was dispersed. Squire Crozier bought two couples of hounds including Peel's best and favourite 'Briton' whose couple companion was a bitch named 'Cruel'.
Peel's hounds were used extensively for stud purposes with the best of Mr Crozier's - justifying the description of the Blencathra as 'Peel's old pack'.
Other hounds were bought by Sir Wilfrid Lawson of Isel Hall, Master of the Cumberland Foxhounds, which were kennelled at Dalston.
The 150th Anniversary of John Peel's death was celebrated on November 13th 2004. Dr Jim Cox then Master of the Blencathra and Diane Todhunter, daughter of the present Huntsman, were directly involved in the celebrations.